16 September 2020
All of our Sony FX9 cine cameras have been fully updated with the latest V2.0 firmware, allowing you, the cinematographer, to truly realise your vision. This upgrade adds a huge host of features to meet users’ demands by expanding your creative options, improving usability and providing more latitude in production and post. Be ready to shoot from just £140 a day +VAT for a 3 day hire.
Here’s the lowdown on what you can now expect when you hire the Sony FX9!
An FFcrop 5K option has been added to Rec Format >Imager Scan Mode in the Project menu. When Imager Scan Mode is set to FF 6K, FFcrop 5K, or S35 4K, video format can now be set to 4096×2160. A “24” option has been added to Rec Format >Frequency in the Project menu.
NB: Video Format setting of 4096×2160 is supported only when Imager Scan Mode is set to FF 6K, FFcrop 5K, or S35 4K.
A CUBE file (*.cube) for a 17-point or 33-point 3D LUT created using RAW Viewer or DaVinci Resolve (by Blackmagic Design Pty. Ltd.) can now be loaded.
Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) is supported to enable shooting with expanded dynamic range. The two following types of HLG are available:
• Natural: Characteristic conforming to ITU-R, BT.2100(HLG).
• Live: Characteristic conforming to ITU-R
When HDR is selected, the colour space is expanded to ITU-R BT.2020 equivalent.
The configurable range for ISO and gain when Base Setting >Shooting Mode in the Project menu is set to SDR or HDR has been expanded:
– When the gain setting mode is set to ISO, values up to the maximum ISO 102400 can be configured.
– When the gain setting mode is set to dB, values up to 27dB can be configured.
AF function improvements:
• Focusing is now supported not just for face detection but also for the detection of people’s eyes.
• When Focus Area is set to Flexible Spot or Zone, the focus area frame can now be moved using touch operation.
• AF transition speed and AF subject shift sensitivity can now be assigned to assignable buttons.
• In Cine EI mode, face/eye detection AF performance has been improved for when Gamma is set to S-Log3.
Some settings can be modified from the status screen. Items can be selected using the multi-function dial, multi selector, or by touch operation.
4K/QFHD resolution signals can now be output from the SDI OUT connectors when the system frequency is set to 29.97, 25, 24, or 23.98.
The image quality has been improved for when Rec Format >Imager Scan Mode in the Project menu is set to S35 2K.
150fps and 180fps options have been added for the frame rate when Rec Format >Imager Scan Mode in the Project menu is set to FF 2K.
The iris indicator now displays T values when a lens that supports T value display is attached.
Passwords used for basic authentication now must be 8 characters or longer and contain at least one alphabetic character and one numeric character, respectively, for enhanced security.