JUST ANNOUNCED: The FUJIFILM GFX 50R, a budget friendly, rangefinder-style medium format camera
25 September 2018 | Category: Stills
PHOTOKINA 2018, COLOGNE, GERMANY, September 25, 2018 － FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Kenji Sukeno) will launch a medium format mirrorless digital camera FUJIFILM GFX 50R (GFX 50R), which features the FUJIFILM G Format (medium format, 43.8x32.9mm) image sensor, which is approx. 1.7 times the size of a full frame 35mm image sensor.
The GFX 50R continues the compact, lightweight and superior image quality characteristics of Fujifilm’s GFX medium format mirrorless digital camera system, while weighing approx. 145g less and being 25mm thinner than the FUJIFILM GFX 50S. The GFX 50S has attracted high praise from professional photographers since its launch in January 2017. Yet, many field photographers who specialize in weddings, portraits and street photography have sought after an even more compact and lightweight camera, along the line of Fujifilm’s traditional medium format film cameras such as GA645 (discontinued) and GF670 (discontinued). With this in mind, FUJIFILM is adding the new “GFX 50R” to the lineup.
Compact and lightweight (approx. 775g) medium format mirrorless digital camera in the rangefinder style
- The GFX 50R is approx. 145g lighter than the GFX 50S (weighing 920g with EVF). The camera body is just 66.4mm thick, 25.0mm thinner than the GFX 50S.
- The rangefinder style design allows you to keep your eye on a subject while looking through the viewfinder with the other eye. This enables checking and feeling the atmosphere of the scene around your subject matter, shown in the EVF.
- The GFX 50R is equipped with the 0.77x 3.69M-dot organic EL electronic viewfinder (EVF). This allows accurate focusing despite the large size of the medium format sensor, which has a shallower depth of field than that of a 35mm full frame sensor when shooting at the same angle of view.
Equipped with 51.4MP medium format CMOS sensor and X-Processor Pro image processing engine
- The medium format (43.8mm x 32.9mm) “G Format” sensor has better per pixel light reception capability than that of a 35mm full frame sensor of the same resolution. Furthermore, the micro lenses have been designed to optimize the light gathering performance and image resolution as well as the handling of data from photodiodes are customized to achieve a superior level of image quality, surpassing that of existing cameras that use a sensor of the same size. As a result, the GFX 50R delivers images that precisely reproduce the subject’s texture, three-dimensional feel and even the atmosphere of each scene.
- The GFX 50R features the X-Processor Pro image processing engine. Supporting FUJIFILM’s renowned Film Simulation modes, the camera allows you to opt for the tonality of photographic films such as Velvia, PROVIA and ACROS, used for many years in medium format film cameras by professional and enthusiast photographers alike.
Intuitive handling and rugged camera body that caters for the needs of all photographers
- The GFX 50R is equipped with the Focus Lever to allow quick adjustment of the focus point. The elimination of the selector buttons provides extra space to hold the camera better. The top panel sports two dials, one for shutter speed and the other for exposure compensation. The milled aluminum dials give the camera a premium feel and satisfying clicking touch.
- The robust magnesium alloy body is weather-sealed in 64 places to provide dust and weather resistance and ability to operate at temperatures as low as -10℃. Its durability caters to the needs of all photographers.
Extensive lineup of the medium format mirrorless system, “GFX system”
- The medium format mirrorless system, GFX system, currently offers a lineup of seven FUJINON GF lenses, covering focal lengths from 23mm (equivalent to 18mm in the 35mm film format) to 250mm (equivalent to 198mm in the 35mm film format). All GF lenses are able to resolve up 100MP which means they are future proof. They are also dust and weather resistant and designed to operate at temperatures as low as -10℃ so that they withstand professional use in harsh conditions.
- Tethered shooting is essential part in a professional photographers workflow. The GFX system supports tethering software “HS-V5 for Windows” and “Tether Shooting Plug-in PRO for Adobe® Photoshop®”, “Capture One Pro (FUJIFILM)” is also due to be released, giving extra options in studio sessions for commercial and fashion photography. This means that a professional photographer can incorporate the GFX system into their regular workflow.
GFX system’s first Bluetooth® compatibility for enhanced connectivity
VIDEO: Kevin Mullins - Candid photography with the FUJIFILM GFX 50R
Wedding and street photographer Kevin Mullins took the new FUJIFILM GFX 50R to the remote village of Mizala in Spain to spend some precious time with his family. Carrying a camera everywhere with him, Kevin always captures natural pictures of his children growing up, be it on holiday or at below:
The new FUJIFILM GFX 50R will be available for hire, HERE.